Thursday 5 September 2013

What a few days

Yesterday Starbaby had his 15th cast put on. His 14th slipped a little - not enough to need removing, but enough to achieve little correction over the week.

The consultant thinks there's a chance we might still be looking at a standard-ish Ponseti treatment for Starbaby, possibly with the addition of a splint on his foot once he goes down to nights in BnBs. No free-feet time at all. That makes me sad. I want him to feel grass under his beautiful little feet next summer.

Soon after we got home I looked at his toes and thought they seemed a little further into his cast than when the cast was fitted. A couple of hours later and it was obvious the cast was slipping. I called the out of hours number which was engaged, so emailed our amazing physio-who-never-stops-working and got a reply very quickly. I'd sent her a couple of photos and she confirmed slippage, and said we should take the cast off as soon as Starbaby woke in the morning.

By morning his toes had totally disappeared inside, which actually made removing the cast fairly easy. He had a lovely soak in the bath, then I managed to remove the top couple of inches, then cut down towards the knee (with Big Sis' blunt scissors) and I hadn't cut much at all before I was able to slip the rest of the cast off his leg.

We couldn't get to the hospital today (it's a 2 hour drive away) as Daddy had an important work thing and my car was having its MOT, so we're heading up tomorrow. Big Sis will be at nursery again (she does Wednesdays and Fridays for her 15 free hours) which is handy, and Daddy will need to take another day of unpaid leave. It's really adding up, but we don't have much choice - Starbaby hates the car and needs me next to him to stand any chance of him staying calm, so we need 2 adults if we're driving. The train would be a 6.5 hour round trip, which I'll do if there's no other option, but the car with both of us is much easier. Thankfully his work have been very understanding and supportive, which makes a huge difference.

Hopefully Cast #16 will stay on for longer than 17 hours!

1 comment: